About Us

Library services started way back in 1944, with Bishop Daly’s subscription library which was opened to a few. Later on, the British Council opened a Library in 1946 at Independence Drive (current location of the National Museum – the National Centre for Arts and Culture).  The British Council handed over the Library to the Gambia Government, and the present library structure was opened on 15th December 1976, by former President Jawara.

The Gambia National Library Service Authority Act of 2009, established the National Library Service Authority as a semi- autonomous public service body, under the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education (MoBSE), ‘to promote, establish, equip, maintain and develop libraries in The Gambia, and for connected matters’.